Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Local Produce



Every week we get a box of local produce from a company called Abundant Harvest Organics and a lot of the time I really am not sure what to make with the produce.  That is what I love about it though, is really having to dig into my cookbooks and get creative to find recipes.  I have to say that truly I am lucky so far that my kids will eat pretty much anything that I cook.  The only thing that I can't seem to get passed them is peas! But that is okay I have to let them have one veggie they absolutely won't eat:)  This last week the box was full of fennel.  Now I have cooked with fennel before and I don't remember really caring for the licorice flavor too much.  So I was in search of a good recipe that the family could eat that had fennel in it.  I absolutely love the cookbook by Mark Bittman,  How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food (thanks again to Alina ).  I found such a easy simple recipe using bulgar wheat, onions, homemade chicken stock, dill and a little whole milk.  It was delicious and so easy to make, and I know for sure I will be making it again.  Every week I love talking to my friends and seeing what we are all going to make with our wonderful local produce.  I would love to hear from you about some of your recipes for veggies that are in season now.  I just got a new veggie box with Leeks and I still have some purple cabbage from last week. Any thoughts??

Happy Cooking,   Courtney



How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food








3 comments:

  1. {You have a blog!?}

    I love fennel. You can use it in gratins, sauteed on top of pizza, in salads, etc. As for the cabbage, I just saw a recipe on my friend Blake's blog today that I'd like to try to make. (I'm sure you could omit the chicken.)

    http://saltteakandfog.blogspot.com/2011/02/monday-lunch-winter-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cookbook too. I have that one and "How to Cook Everything". Both excellent books and reference guides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have "how to cook everything" great another one I will have to buy:)
    And thanks Kim for the blog referral, I really like her blog. Glad to see you are at it again:)

    ReplyDelete