Monday, April 4, 2011

Are your eggs fresh?


One day we hope to be raising our own chickens for fresh eggs but for now we try to always purchase our eggs from our local farmers market. On occasion I need to run to our local market and grab a dozen. I never really thought twice that they wouldn't be that fresh. Thinking they were organic and cage free we should  be pretty much in the clear. Well I am reading of course another cookbook that I have had around for a while and thought I would finally look through The River Cottage Family Cookbook. Another fantastic cookbook with great information and photography.  Well I stumbled upon a section on eggs and started reading on how to tell if your eggs are really fresh. You gently set them in a bowl of cold water and they should lay flat on the bottom. If the egg stands on its point at the bottom then it is a couple days old. But if it floats to the top of the water it  means don't even think about cracking it open, it is old.  When an egg gets older I guess the white shrinks and the egg fills up with air. Pretty interesting, so I decided to try it on the eggs I just purchased at a really popular market here and most of them stood on point at the bottom, but a couple floated to the top! So now the fresh egg test is going to become a habit of mine before we use any of them. Maybe you should check yours out and see what you find:)


The River Cottage Family Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment