Sunday, January 30, 2011

Great Find

  My next adventure has been exploring the use of the old fashion cast iron skillets.  I have never used one before and actually was really kind of scared of them.  It was when I had lunch over at my neighbors and watched her cooking in her skillet that I saw how easy they are to take care of and the food tasted really good.  I thought that I would take the plunge and try one out.  Usually I would head over to William Sonoma's and take a look, but I thought that maybe I would look for one second hand.  Thinking the eco way, off to the the second hand shops in Ventura I went.  And there it was, the skillet I was looking for without a trace of rust.
Not only did I find the perfect skillet but I saved money as well. With the skillet home - seasoned and ready for cooking I am ready to put it to the test.
Since I am new to the whole cast iron thing I would love for any advice on working with this type of skillet or any recipes that you would love to share.
Happy Cooking, Courtney

4 comments:

  1. Don't wash it with soap. They are seasoned with oil and soap will pull that off. Scrape off the food, rinse it, dry it and put it away. I have two: a normal skillet and a cast-iron grill pan. Love them! They last forever and cook better. Plus you can scrape them with a metal spatula without worrying about damaging that silly non-stick junk that falls off in a few years anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! I did wash it with soap when I brought it home, just because it was used. But then I seasoned it and it seems to be fine. What have you cooked in yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav is potatoes, fries, peppers and onions (like for fajitas), asparagus with garlic, and anything that you'd normally do on a grill. The cast iron grill pan is great for paninis too. Put the sandwich on the grill pan and put something heavy on it to get those good grill marks. Then flip it. Ff you're a meat eater, cast-irons are great for bacon, burgers, steaks, chicken... you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you season yours after each use? It seems like after the two times I have used it, it looks like it needs to be seasoned.

    ReplyDelete